Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Singapore Botanic Gardens




Lovely day at the Botanic Gardens today. They have a whole area devoted to orchids which is my favorite flower so I was thrilled. We took lots of great photos. We took a picnic lunch and sat on the lawn and had our lunch. After a rest at home we went out on the playground for a few hours. I cooked dinner tonight. Chicken Satay. Typically this is prepared on bamboo skewers and grilled but I did not have skewers, a grill (or time to do all the steps). They have a mix here with the marinade, the gravy and then a peanut sauce to serve with. We just had the chicken chopped up with the gravy. I also cooked carrots and asparagus. It is hard to get enough veggies here. I am used to eating a salad everyday but the "greens" here are not what I am used to and don't tend to lend themselves to being eaten raw.



I just saw on TV that there are 14 Malaria cases in the northwest part of Singapore. It is kind of near the Night Safari Zoo that I have already bought tickets for. I guess we will be lathering up with mosquito spray and wearing long clothes. We did not get Malaria pills because we were not going to the less developed areas of Malaysia. Hopefully that will not be our mistake. My Dad had Malaria and I hope not to go through that again.



We are doing well. We are having a bit of homesickness. Kyle said he just wants to go home and mow! I understand, I just want to drive to the grocery store and get everything I need! (and not be surrounded by so many people!!) I don't know what I expected but this is a big time city. We bought ourselves our first box of cereal yesterday and it was heavenly to have cereal for breakfast. Cereal is quite expensive here ($5-$12 a small box) so we had tried to be cost conscious and live the "singapore way." We are learning that some things are worth the cost!! Sorry we won't be bringing home souveniers for you all!! lol

No comments: