Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sunday July 19




It is hard to beleive we only have a week and a half left here in Singapore. We never made it to the Haw Par Village last week. The boys said they would rather hang around the pool and the apartment. Life has become more routine here. (Just when you start settling in it is time to go!). After leaving here we are going to London for 5 or so days. My dear friend Patty has agreed to let us all stay with her and her family. I am so looking forward to seeing them. We are taking the chunnel on the 4th over to Paris for Charley's birthday...what an amazing birthday huh? How many American kids can say they went to the Eiffel tower on their 7th birthday? Jeff needs to visit a client on that day as well so he will probably slip away while we are exploring the Louve or something else...he spent several weeks in Paris already this year so he knows his way around.

One of the things I read about before coming here was the ice cream sandwiches in bread. I thought it did not sound good but it is definitely one of things I will miss about Singapore. It is so good! The bread is a special sweet bread and it is just delicious. Even more so the price is only $1...well worth it when you are so hot from being outside. I found a soy ice cream shop and got Charley is very first ice cream cone that I did not make. As you can see, the child was not very happy. He ate a bite and would not eat the rest. Charley is used to flavoured soy milk (vanilla or chocolate) and this soy milk was all natural. Even Kyle and I had a hard time with it. Poor guy. He just sat there with the ice cream slowing melting down the cone and over his hand...Oh well, we tried!!! As you can see Dylan is more into the big block of ice cream than the bread.
We were going to go to church today but it turned into a logistical nightmare. I thought changes in schedule are hard for our church...but the church we attended meet in a mall in the 4th tower. (the mall is 4 highrise buildings) They are growing so rapidly that they have to change overflow rooms and other rooms regularly. Dylan is on the same floor in one of the store fronts. Kyle and Charley meet in the convention center which requires you to take a shuttle bus. It was difficult but we figured it out and were willing to do it again. I went on the website and I saw that Kyle and Charley had been moved to the Hotel in the area and different roads around the mall are closed in the morning due to a Shape magazine women's run. We were almost late to church last time trying to figure everything out (and we had someone helping us) and I am sure we would be late this time. The people queue up to get in the church and it is amazing to see the line of people snaking through the mall waiting to get in. A wonderful site really. They have 4 services on Sunday and the guy that helped us told us they had 30 visitors the first service, 90 the second and 95 the third and he did not know how many the 4th (the one we attended). Can you imagine having that many visitors at one service. Amazing!

August 9th is Independence day here. On Saturday nights they are having rehearsals. Last night we were able to watch from the terrace at our apartment part of the show and the fireworks. I have never seen fireworks from the 44th floor before. It was beautiful. Yesterday was my Dad's birthday so I told Jeff they were setting off fireworks in celebration of his special day!

So, we have no real plans for today. I think we will celebrate the Lord's day and possibly head out to Sentosa island again. Jeff has not gone. They have a luge there that I think the older boys will enjoy.

No comments: