Friday, July 24, 2009

Little India and Chinatown

Today we went to Little India and Chinatown. It was quite interesting as I pointed out to Kyle that in Little India I did not find too many Indians (more Chinese) and in Chinatown I found many traditional Indian outfits. It was also quite interesting the number or gifts that I saw that my Dad has brought back from his different mission trips to Asian countries. I want to bring back souveniers but it is hard to find things that I think people will like and use. (and my Dad has not already brought back). I don't think everyone wants a T-shirt that says Singapore on it. Maybe they will just be happy to see us!

It seems we are finally getting settled in and have found our rythym here. We understand the culture better and understand the food and have now gotten quite used to the stares and the "Hey boy!" that we hear as people try to capture the attention of Dylan. I have also gotten used to the , "wow, three boys" comments. It seems most people here believe we are very blessed (as do we) though many then follow it up with "no, girl? next one will be girl!" We traverse the island almost like pros now and can quickly determine if the bus, subway or taxi is the best way. So, now that we are more comfortable here, it is time to leave.

I keep having to go and check my flight info because I cannot seem to remember the day we are leaving. I know the date but just have to keep confirming that it is actually only 5 days away. We have had a great summer, lots of staying up late and sleeping late. It will be tough for us to get back into a school routine. Thankfully we have some more time before that.

We are meeting up with our friends that invited us over earlier in the week. We will meet them at the park near there house on Sunday afternoon. They even said we could shower at their house before going to dinner! If you are outside for long around here you will understand why!

A little fact to end my blog:
Our friends were telling us that Singapore is much larger now than it was 50 years ago. Apparently, they bought tons of dirt and sand from Indonesia and the Phillipines and they built up the island. The land we are living on is actually reclaimed land (as they call it). They said that Malaysia actually got very angry and threatened the other countries that were providing the sand so they can no longer buy any more "land." Almost everything is imported to Singapore, even the water is purchased from neighboring nations.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Well, I know I've certainly learned a lot about Singapore! Japan and China are esp. desirous of boy children since they only allow each couple 2 children. They want the children to be able to carry on the family line which girl children only marry out of.